National Indigenous Peoples Day – June 21
We are very happy to share information with you and your organization regarding the National Indigenous Peoples Day, Virtual Celebration and Wellness Event. More information can be found on www.surrey.ca/NIPD
We acknowledge we are situated on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the Semiahma (Semiahmoo), q̓ʷɑ:n̓ƛ̓ən̓ (Kwantlen), and q̓ic̓əy̓ (Katzie) land-based nations.
- Kids Show: 11:00AM-11:30AM
- Main Event: 6:00PM-7:30PM
Hosted by the Local Land Based Nations, Semiahmoo, Kwantlen and Katzie First Nations, Surrey’s National Indigenous Peoples Day is an opportunity to acknowledge and show respect and admiration for Indigenous Peoples past, present and future; to share cultural history; and to share spirit, experiences, stories, song, art and dance with each other and the community.
The virtual broadcast will include cultural sharing from Semiahmoo, Kwantlen, Katzie First Nations, and Nova Métis with teachings and practice through art, music, storytelling, and dance.
We look forward to bringing you:
- The Wild Moccasin Dancers, (Shyama-Priya and David Whitebean)
- Stars of the North Drum Group, (LaDonna Wiks-Joseph name by Wata)
- XiQuelem, (Eugene Harry)
- Brown Bear Woman, (Candace Hill Trevena)
- JB the First Lady, (Jerilynn Webster)
- Métis Jigging (Madelaine McCallum)
A huge thank you to our sponsors who have made this year’s virtual event a success.