Resources for Indigenous Learners
Educational Award for Post-Secondary Study for Indigenous students: ḴEL,ḴELOŦEN ȻE S,ISTEW̱ Education fund
This is a $5000 award to a student who identifies as an Indigenous, First Nations, Inuit, or Métis person from BC and who might have a desire to pursue a career in the Architecture and Engineering industry. There is more information on the poster and at this link: www.indigenousaeaward.ca
Indigenous Community Integration Specialist – Louanna Anderson
I am an Indigenous Community Integration Specialist working only with Indigenous people primarily in the Surrey area but do work with clients all over especially because I am the only worker of this type. Things I can help with are and are limited to if a client has an open Income Assistance or Disability case:
- Help clients apply for Income Assistance & or Disability
- Crisis food
- Crisis clothing
- Crisis shelter
- Crisis furniture
- Moving/transportation costs
- Security deposits/pet deposits
- Address updates
- Submitting monthly Income Reports
- Checking on status of IA or Disability file
- Meetings at my office or in the community or your school
- Temporary Child Tax Top Up
- Sending in for Birth Certificate
- Fee’s for Id’s
- Transportation supplement or bus pass if eligible
- Adding children or newborn to open file
- Setting up direct payment to Landlord
- Addiction services
I work Tuesdays and Thursdays at FRAFCA located at 205-14727 108th Avenue from 9am till 4pm and clients can make an appointment or just drop in. The best way to reach me is my sending me an email at Louanna.firstname.lastname@example.org and second is by my work cell at 604-817-0057. I do have every other Monday as a flex day but work 8:30-4:30 M-F. Also if you or your families you work with have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.
Student Mental Health Toolkit
- There is also a toolkit for older youth.
- Indigenous Hall | City of Surrey
- Chief Dan George – Actor and Activist. Explore the life and legacy of Tsleil-Waututh Chief Dan George—leader, writer, performer and advocate for First Nations people.
- Click here.
Youth Dialogue on Racism
FOR ACTION, SUPERINTENDENTS, SAFE SCHOOL COORDINATORS, SOGI LEADS, AND INDIGENOUS EDUCATION COUNCIL – Due Dec. 6, 2021:
Minister’s Youth Dialogue Series: Minister Whiteside will be hosting a Youth Dialogue Series to hear directly from Grade 7-10 students on their lived experiences of racism and discrimination and/or commitment to social justice. Please share this information with students who may like to participate. Expressions of interest are due to Equitas (facilitator) by December 6.
FNHA Resources: Please click on the following links:
Indigenous focused Bursary and Scholarship, newly expanded to all of BC – M’akola Development Services
Previously, it was only available to Indigenous students on Vancouver Island and in Northwest BC, but our Board has expanded the program to be PROVINCE WIDE! Additionally, we are excited to announce that our Board has increased the annual Bursary from four $1,000 awards to SIX $2,500 awards!
This year, we have extended deadline until November 30th. Please share the application with your contacts. For more information, you can check out the Scholarships & Bursaries page of MDS’ website, or see the attached fillable PDF.