The SAIL Academy STEAMX program is a 2 Year Accelerated program for highly motivated, academic students. The program combines 4 days of face-to-face interdisciplinary instruction with one day of flexible, independent learning.
The STEAMX program allows students to accelerate through Grades 8-10 and pursue some Grade 11 & 12 courses according to their abilities. In this way, they are prepared for the rigor of IB or AP level senior high courses.
Students embrace the innovator mindset and develop their capacity through inquiry, experimentation and interdisciplinary, project-based learning. They learn in an open, collaborative, contemporary space that fosters engagement. In STEAMX, students will build upon their core and curricular competencies as well as their inter and intrapersonal skills.
To be eligible for STEAMX, students must have completed Grade and be at least 12 years of age before September of their enrolling year. There is an in-depth application process consisting of a literacy and numeracy assessment, a student learning portfolio, reference letters and an intake interview to ensure student success in the program. Priority is given to students enrolled in the Surrey School District 36.
SAIL’s STEAMX program gives students an advantage
SAIL Academy’s STEAMX program embraces the idea that every child is unique and learns in his or her own way. Your child will explore their passions and develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills to help them become highly successful adults and prepare them for success in the ever-changing local
and global workplace.
How does learning happen in the STEAMX program?
- Students have the capacity, time & interest to complete secondary school graduation requirements in 4 years.
- Learning is engaging, motivating, and stimulates curiosity.
- Students solve real world problems using a designer mindset.
- Students learn through inquiry, experimentation, and reflection.
- Students are required to think creatively and critically.
- Students learn in an open collaborative classroom environment.
- Students learn material through an interdisciplinary approach.
- Students have opportunity to share their learning with an authentic and global audience.
Blended Learning in STEAMX
Students have face-to-face learning 4 days per week and have digital content accessible anywhere, anytime, 24-7.
Depending on enrolment, the cohort size is typically 20-25 students.
The gifted education team includes two BC Certified public school teachers assigned to each cohort, plus support teachers in specialized areas.
The STEAMX ACCELERATED Program Content
- Students complete high school graduation requirements in 4 years through an interdisciplinary, inquiry based approach.
- Literacy and math foundational skills are applied to all areas of learning.
- With a focus on core competencies, students develop their intellectual, personal, social and emotional proficiencies in order to engage in deep, life-long learning.
- Students build community connections and networks to contribute to their local and global context.
- Aboriginal culture and perspectives are integrated throughout all areas of learning.
STEAMX program costs
No cost registration open to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents residing in the Lower Mainland, whom are accepted into the program. Students are strongly encouraged to have their own learning devices and computer access with an Internet connection. Individual course enhancement costs may be requested based on program needs. (Please contact an administrator if there is a financial hardship.)
What type of student would enjoy STEAMX?
SAIL Academy’s STEAMX program is designed for learners who appreciate the hands-on nature of the curricula combined with online learning and flexible hours. Students will be taught how to manage their time while they learn independently and in groups in a fast paced, accelerated environment. Students will also volunteer within their community to reinforce their real world skills.
Why you might consider STEAMX?
Many post-secondary institutions are seeking learners with diverse skill sets. This program is designed for those students with university aspirations. The STEAMX program is designed so that most students will be eligible for university by the third year of this program.
SAIL Academy’s STEAMX program helps young people to gain the necessary skills to succeed in all careers. Students learn by face-to-face instruction, online with digital content, and community volunteer opportunities that allow student choice and voice.